Enjoy our adventures with us!

Join us on our journey as we rebuild and prepare Benevolence for offshore cruising!

We have recently created a new website to share our adventure with you at www.benevolentwanderings.weebly.com Go to the LOGBOOK page to find our blog.


Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ebay Finally Got Me!











Well- I FINALLY got badly jipped on Ebay-

I had been dying to get a DSLR (Digital SLR professional camera) but couldn't afford it. Then I discovered one on Ebay for 70% of what a new one cost so I snagged it. I emailed back and forth with the seller, who seemed like a nice old man who lost his wife. I excitedly shared my find with all the electronic stores but they all gave me doubtful looks. I checked out five digital photography books from the library and studied them while waiting for my treasure to arrive. I bought an expensive memory card for it so I could use the RAW format which takes a lot of space. I also found the perfect backpack to hold all the cameras and even our tripiods. I had everything set.

The seller said it might be here Monday, so I took off work early to do laundry and check the post office. I had had a horrible day at work and was hoping the camera would arrive to cheer my day up. After waiting 30 minutes in line, I found the camera had arrived. I set it in the car and raced to the laundromat to throw the clothes in the dryer. I struggled to tear the box open with my fingers. He had taped all the seams, just as I did with packaging boxes. I eventually peeled the bottom away. Immediately, a battery package, dated 1995, fell in my lap. Weird, I thought. The long haired tennis player guy on the front of the box looked dated. Huh, I thought again. I read the name on the box and it was the right name.

I pulled out the manual. It looked old? I gingerly opened the box and found a FILM camera! I couldn't believe it. It was the same name but a fifteen year old film model not the new, three month old digital model! I cried as I crushed my clothes into the basket. I drove back to work so I could punish myself for my stupidity.I studied the listing over and over, trying to find an indication of film. There was NO indication of film OR digital on this description! He had been extremely sparce on his description. His picture was so small, you couldn't tell which model it was. I finally found it. "Item Specifics: Film Cameras" I emailed the seller and asked him to consider a return since I was under the impression it was the digital model. He was very mean about the misunderstanding so I forked out more money for batteries and gritted my teeth with owning a second film camera.

I called Brett and cried to him about my mistake. I was worried to tell him about the money I'd just wasted but he was more worried about my disappointment. He talked me into looking at the many positive things about it. I am making the best of it and will post pictures from the new film camera when I get them developed. I am still hoping to end up with a DSLR to take fabulous photos of our travels and maybe even get good enough to sell them. :) Brett is super supportive and is interested in taking up photography as well.

No comments: